Friday, November 1, 2019

Walking Sticks


I do a lot of hiking and one thing I always bring with me is a good walking stick.  I decided to carve some faces into the walking sticks as a good luck charm to keep the trails safe!  Years a go I joined a Cane Making Guild in England and although I never went to any meetings, I was able to talk to other cane makers and learn some of their techniques.  I learned how to season  the wood sticks so that they hold up to a good amount of use including being used for support.  The sticks are strong and flexible making them a good friend on a long hike.


I carved this German Shepard for a a member of the Police Canine Unit as a memory of his dog.
   



The coin is from Ireland.  I made this for my Uncle's 80th birthday.






Wood Spirit penciled in then carved into the stick.




Clear, satin, polyurethane finish is brushed onto the stick.



Sticks are hung to dry.






"Long Claw" from the Game Of Thrones
($75.00)


Celtic themed stick


Dragon Stick






No comments: